Yazidi Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Author: Community Crops - Prairie Pines Incubator Farm, Air Park Farm
This recipe comes from the kitchen of a Yazidi refugee from Northern Iraq starting their farm business at our Prairie Pines Training Farm. A great treat to use up the summer bounty of cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes!
- 4 small cucumbers unpeeled
- 3 ripe, firm tomatoes
- 1/2 medium red onion or fresh green onion
- 2 thinly sliced sweet yellow or green peppers
- 3 tablespoons of roughly chopped parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice (about one medium lemon)
- 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Dice the cucumbers, tomatoes and onion into small cubes. Add to a medium bowl.
- Remove seeds from the peppers and slice very thin. Add to the bowl.
- Add chopped parsley.
- In a small bowl use a whisk to combine the lemon juice, salt, vinegar and olive oil. Add to the salad ingredients.
- Toss gently to coat, serve immediately.
- You may prepare and combine the vegetables a few hours ahead and refrigerate without adding the dressing.
- Toss the vegetables with the dressing right before serving.
- Adjust salt to your taste.
Learn more about Community Crops - Prairie Pines Incubator Farm, Air Park Farm