Vegetable and Feta Sandwiches
Author: Georgia Jones, Associate Professor, Extension Food Specialist
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 small summer squash (zucchini)
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 4 (1/2 inch thick) slices of red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved or slicing tomatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons light Italian or other salad dressing of choice
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 (8-ounce) loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (3-ounces) crumbled goat, cow, or sheep feta cheese
- Wash squash and bell pepper. Peel onion. Preheat a medium skillet. When oil is hot, add squash, bell pepper, and onion. Saute until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place tomatoes in a medium bowl; add salad dressing and basil, tossing gently to cat. Add cooked vegetables to tomato mixture; toss well.
- Coat cut sides of bread with cooking spray. Grill or toast bread 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over bottom half of bread; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Top with remaining bread half. Press down lightly; cut cross-wise into four equal pieces.
- Add shredded pork shoulder roast to this sandwich!
- Try this in a wrap instead of a sandwich!