Greens and Quinoa Pie
Author: Renee Cornett, Prairie Plate Restaurant
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch swiss chard (1 to 1.25 lbs), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, like Calypso from Shadowbrook Farm
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Place rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan. Add 1 cup water and season with salt, if desired. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Steam chard until wilted, stirring frequently or tossing with tongs. Cool slightly then squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to cutting board and chop into small pieces. Stir greens into quinoa.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, diced white part of green onions, diced chard stems, and saute 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add cooked onion mixture, green onions, dill, and feta cheese to quinoa mixture. Stir in eggs; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into 9-inch pie pan, and place in oven. Heat 5 minutes or until oil is hot. Swirl oil to coat bottom of pan, then spread quinoa mixture in pan with spatula. Bake 20 minutes.
- Drizzle pie with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before slicing.
Tip! Serve with dill or mint yogurt sauce.
Learn more about Prairie Plate Restaurant