Author: Alice Henneman
While I enjoy cooking, I like lingering over a meal of good-tasting food even more! When I received, my latest CSA box from Pekarek’s Produce, I was originally going to create some type of roasted tomato sauce with the cherry tomatoes. Roasting adds an extra layer of flavor to foods.
Then, I thought again … and decided why not roast the zucchini and yellow pepper also. And, only have to cook once to enjoy all of these foods.
And that’s what I did … it was so easy and so delicious! Here are the directions …
- 2 to 4 cups cherry tomatoes, left whole with skins
- One large bell pepper (any color), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (preferably whole grain), such as rotini, farfalle (bow tie shaped) or medium-sized shell pasta
- Salt and pepper (preferably fresh ground pepper) to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, preferably freshly grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together cherry tomatoes, bell pepper slices, zucchini and extra virgin olive oil in a large roasting pan, a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or a baking sheet with sides. Spread the vegetables spread in a single, even layer on the pan. Use a larger pan or a c
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the vegetables.
- Roast for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tomatoes and zucchini are softened and the pepper has started to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according package directions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Combine the roasted vegetables with the pasta in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If needed, add reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls until you have added enough liquid if pasta requires additional moistening.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Serve and pass the grated Parmesan if desired.
If you decide to use the recipe for 2 main-dish servings, include the cheese to add some protein to the meal. Or, you might quickly heat some pre-cooked shrimp according to package directions and add to the pasta dish.