Greens and Quinoa Pie
Author: Renee Cornett
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch swiss chard (1 to 1.25 lbs), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, like Calypso from Shadowbrook Farm
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Place rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan. Add 1 cup water and season with salt, if desired. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Steam chard until wilted, stirring frequently or tossing with tongs. Cool slightly then squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to cutting board and chop into small pieces. Stir greens into quinoa.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, diced white part of green onions, diced chard stems, and saute 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add cooked onion mixture, green onions, dill, and feta cheese to quinoa mixture. Stir in eggs; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into 9-inch pie pan, and place in oven. Heat 5 minutes or until oil is hot. Swirl oil to coat bottom of pan, then spread quinoa mixture in pan with spatula. Bake 20 minutes.
- Drizzle pie with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before slicing.
Tip! Serve with dill or mint yogurt sauce.