Calling all food entrepreneurs and businesses that source Nebraska-grown foods!
Support farmers & connect with more customers by joining our network!
Get Listed in our 2022 Nebraska Food Guide!*
*Register by January 31 to be listed in our printed food guide. All members will be listed in our online food guide and online map.
Membership Criteria & Eligibility
Buy Fresh Buy Local Nebraska seeks to increase consumer confidence in local food promotions as well as increase awareness of the importance of Nebraska-grown foods & goods. To be a trusted brand and transparent source of local food information, we have the following membership requirements of participating producers and businesses.
|Membership Type||Cost of Full|
|Restaurants & Caterers (Business Membership)||$50||Restaurants, caterers, and personal chefs that commit to providing their customers with locally-grown foods.||Must regularly purchase from and promote at least one local farm. Must be working to increase use of local food ingredients.|
|Artisan Food Producers (Business Membership)||$50||Businesses that use locally-grown ingredients to create new products like jams, jellies, breads, and baked/prepared goods, cured meats, fermented vegetables, etc.||A primary ingredient in the product (i.e. apples in applesauce or oats in oatmeal cookies) must be a locally-grown product. Must regularly purchase from and promote at least one local farm.|
|Grocers & Retailers (Business Membership)||$50||Grocery stores, co-ops, butcher shops, markets, garden supply centers and stores that commit to buying and stocking their shelves with locally-grown products.||Must regularly purchase from and promote at least three local farms.|
|Specialty Beverage Producers (Business Membership)||$50||Businesses that use locally-grown ingredients like grapes, hops, or apples for wine, beer, cider, kombucha, or spirits.||Must raise your own grapes, hops, grain or fruit or regularly purchase from and promote at least one local farm.|
We have two membership levels so you can choose what works best for your business: our full membership and our online only membership.
Option 1: Full Membership (print & online listing) includes...
$25 - $150 depending on membership type
* indicates only available for this membership level
*Listing in the printed Nebraska Food Guide
*Laminated BFBLN certificate
*Point of Purchase cards for market stand or farm store
*Featured Member article online + featured member social media promotion
Discount on advertisements for printed food guide
Use of BFBLN logos & branding
Listing in BFBLN online food guide
Listing in BFBLN Local Food Map
Promotion in statewide marketing campaigns
Inclusion in our members only listserv
Inclusion in BFBLN local food events
Option 2: Online Only Membership includes...
$25 for all membership types
- Use of BFBLN logos & branding
- Listing in BFBLN online food guide
- Listing in BFBLN Local Food Map
- Promotion in statewide marketing campaigns
- Inclusion in our members only listserv
- Inclusion in BFBLN local food events
Annual member dues help us print our annual food guide, host local food events, and expand programming. We want our membership to feel engaged to help drive the organization, create change in our local food system, and tell others what membership means to them.
- Brand Recognition - For over 10 years, BFBLN has been a trusted resource for customers to know that are buying from a business that supports local! You will receive BFBLN branding materials for display at your business.
- Promotion in the Nebraska Food Guide - Your business will be listed in a beautiful, professionally-designed local food directory, identifying your business as a one that supports and purchases products from Nebraska diversified family farmers and ranchers, and/or sells locally-produced food. 8,000 copies of the food guide are distributed each year! Check out our most current food guide.
- Connection to Consumers - Get your business put on the local food map! Let consumers know that you source and support local foods in your community. Your business name and location will be identified on an interactive map both in the Food Guide and on our website to help people find your business! We also promote our members through BFBLN website, newsletters, "Featured Member of the Week", social media and traditional media.
- Event Opportunities - Take part in BFBL-hosted events that keep you connected with Nebraska’s outstanding diversified farmers and ranchers, consumers searching for locally-grown or raised food, and fellow BFBLN members.
- 2020 Events Include: Local Food Showcases in Lincoln and Hastings (stay-tuned...will be adding more locations!), farm tours, our first-ever eat local challenge, and more!
To be eligible you must:
- Use locally-grown products in your business and working to increase local offerings. See business-specific details below.
Locally grown and produced foods must be displayed and labeled. An average of four local products must be available. Must be working to increase local food offerings or length of time of local food offerings.
Local ingredients must be promoted (See Restaurants/Caterers). Must be working to increase use of local ingredients.
Must offer local meats raised by, Nebraska small family farmers & ranchers, for sale and identify with signage. Be working to increase local meat offerings and make them an increasing percentage of sales.
Must use at least two Nebraska ingredients in your product. Such as your own grapes, hops, grains, and/purchase from growers within Nebraska.
Restaurants or Caterers who are sourcing local product from area growers and producers may apply to become a member. Several ingredients must be grown in Nebraska and should be purchased directly from the farmer, market or co-op within Nebraska. Local products purchased should be a part of your regular menu or used for specials. There is no minimum requirement for how much local product you must use, but you must be working to increase use of local food ingredients.
Other Food Processors: Not sure if you qualify? Contact us and we will be happy to talk with you. BFBLN Advisory Board will use its discretion when reviewing your application for approval. Must be working to increase local food offerings.
BFBLN connects us not only to our customer base but to outstanding suppliers as well. The Guide is the go-to source for an amazing diversity of products and a direct link to the people behind them. Renee Cornett Prairie Plate Restaurant