“A network of 170+ community gardens in NE, KS, & SW IA, teaching people of all ages to grow, cook, & preserve!”
A big thank you to The Big Garden , one of our 2019 program sponsors! The Big Garden has been weaving together people, food, and gardening since it began in Omaha in 2005. Their ultimate goal is to teach people how to grow, cook and preserve food for themselves and their neighbors. From community gardens to teaching kids' cooking classes to hosting seed swaps, The Big Garden is consistently finding new and engaging ways to connect people and food. Check out their programs and events to join in the fun!
What The Big Garden offers:
- Community Gardens Over 170 Community Gardens in 3 states!
- Growing Gardeners Workshop Series 4 seasons of workshops for gardeners and urban farmers
- Grow-Your-Own Free summer garden program for ages 2-18
- New Roots Internship 12-week paid summer internship for young adults interested in gardening, food security, local food, and working with children.
- Nature Camp Nature based weekly day camp for ages 3-7
- Garden to Table Middle school programs that teach gardening, cooking and food preparation!
- Farm to School installation of edible school gardens and bringing educators into the classroom to share gardening, cooking, nutrition, and preserving skills.
- Volunteers in Mission (VIM) accredited Volunteers in Mission (VIM) site through the United Methodist Church, offering high-quality mission & education experiences in the Omaha area since 2005.
- The Giving Grove Supporting community orchard sites through education and supplies
How to get in touch with The Big Garden: