Baba Ghanoush (Smoky Eggplant Dip)
Author: Cooks Illustrated
If you like hummus, try this recipe!
This recipe is kid-approved!
With a USDA grant, Buy Fresh Buy Local brought samples of this recipe to schools in Lincoln to get the input of students and more than 80% said they liked it or loved it. After students tried the recipe, they picked up locally grown produce to make it at home!
- 2 lbs eggplant (5 medium Italian or 12 medium Japanese eggplants), poked uniformly over surface with fork to prevent bursting
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil, set eggplants on baking sheet and roast, turning every 15 minutes, until eggplants are uniformly soft when pressed with tongs, between 40 and 60 minute
- Trim top and bottom off each eggplant. Slit eggplants lengthwise and use spoon to scoop hot pulp from skins and place pulp in bowl (you should have about 2 cups packed pulp); discard skins.
- Transfer pulp to work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Add lemon juice, oil, garlic, tahini, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until mixture has coarse, choppy texture, about eight 1-second pulses. Adjust seasoning with sa